Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cal Is The Leader for 2011 DT/DE Prospect Todd Barr

According to espn.com highly touted 2011 defensive tackle/end prospect Todd Barr has named Cal as his leader.  On duckterritory.com Barr said,

"I would have to say Cal for sure, they are my top school right now. I don't want to put out a full list or anything right now. I need to talk to my coach first before I put anything out."

Barr continued, "I'm going to Florida and Miami for visits. I don't have any other visits set up after that right now. Cal, Miami, and UCLA are recruiting me pretty hard right now... I (also) like Oregon a lot."

The ESPNU 150 prospect concluded, "Cal, I like the defense a lot. I talk to coach Pendergast a lot. He tells me they are going to let me loose, let me go in their defense. He said I can run wild and get after the quarterback, I like that. Overall I'm looking for relationship with my position coach, and academics. I can honestly say that's about it for what I'm looking for in a school."

Rivals.com has Barr rated as the #8 defensive end and 98th overall. Espn has Barr rated as the 27th best prospect overall. Barr is another target of Cal super recruiter Tosh Lupoi who was named recruiter of the year by rivals.com last year.

The scouting report on Barr by Barry Every on rivals.com says

On the Hoof: Barr is a bit light in the lower body and may be close to maxed out in muscle mass. His build is similar to 2010 Texas signee Ashton Dorsey.
Needs Improvement: Barr does not have the ideal height to play defensive end, and he may not have the frame to add enough weight in the power base to switch to defensive tackle. Barr definitely needs to be more consistent with his pad level at the point of attack.
Most Impressive: He really fires off the ball hard and has an arsenal of pass-rushing moves. His lateral quickness allows him to slide down the line and make plays. He may be undersized, but he's an athletic defensive tackle.
Conclusion: Look for him to make the switch to defensive tackle at the next level. He will need some time to add on that extra 15 to 20 pounds of muscle mass in order to hold up against the huge interior linemen he will face. Barr is an overachiever and his height will most likely not be an issue.

Having a player like Barr is definitely going to help Cal if they get him. With last year's strong linebacking class, it is obvious that Cal is going to need to focus on getting prospects that can free up those linebackers up to make plays. I would expect Cal to be able to close the deal on Barr with Lupoi handling the recruiting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment